FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WN Looks to Obtain DCA Slots from NK, Start STL-DCA
Old Jul 4, 2012, 8:38 am
rtalk25

I wonder if NK will expand significantly from BWI since BWI will be the airport for the Wash DC-Baltimore presence with DFW and FLL service now announced. In Philadelphia market not too far north, service that ACY has includes: RSW, TPA, MCO, FLL, MYR year-round daily. Unlike DCA with slot issues, that could be attempted at BWI. MYR would be a nice offering since WN doesn't offer it, although offers service to CHS 2 hours away.
The Washington-Baltimore market is bigger than the Philadelphia market which has US, WN and NK (at ACY) all offering Florida service.

While there is benefit to buy out the slots from NK, NK at BWI could be a thorn for WN's ops at BWI. But likely not soon or all that significant. I suppose in 2014, WN will launch BWI-DAL to get the customers who may switch to NK for BWI-DFW, from flying WN with a 1-stop, now back to WN on a nonstop.

I figured it would be B6 that would offer the competition at BWI (after FL dissolves), but now it appears that it's more likely to be NK.

Last edited by rtalk25; Jul 4, 2012 at 8:55 am