FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Status match, AS to Delta? Not sure what to do...
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:00 am
Mannydog

Status match, AS to Delta? Not sure what to do...

I thought I had a plan, but now that the time has come, I'm not so sure.
Sorry for the long post.

Since i moved to the NW in the mid 90's, I have been Alaska-centric. Flown most of my flights with them, or AS partners. Have a couple of Signature Visa and use them as much as possible.

I haven't flown enough in the last few years to warrant more than plain MVP (barely), but starting last Sept I have been flying between SEA and MEM twice a month. Since Delta rules MEM, I have been doing all my flights on DL and using my AS #.

This arrangement looks to continue for the foreseeable future, plus I am now adding quarterly flights to Taipei and/or Shanghai to the mix.

I've been thinking of status matching to DL, since I am doing pretty much all my flights with them.

I recently tried to redeem some miles for a SEA-ALB trip for me and my kids, and there were NO flights available using AS miles, even checking other west coast cities. When I looked on the Delta website, there were plenty of options (using Delta miles).

I just turned MVP Gold and had thought I would try to status match onto Delta when that happened, including getting an Delta Amex, but I started reading a bunch on FT yesterday, and I'm having second thoughts.

I even got the crazy idea to match to United, since they are partners with EVA (which has non stops from SEA-TPE), and people seem to think their mileage program is better than Delta, but the last times I flew with them a couple of years ago I hated everything from the nickle and dime-ing website, to the surly staff. FWIW, I do have 660k lifetime miles on UA from 20 years ago.

So: should I stick with Alaska? Match to DL? Match to UA?

Also, the Status Challenge form on Delta's website doesn't mention Alaska, would I still use that?
TIA