FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade potential this Sat?
View Single Post
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:30 pm
danman421

Programs: US Airways
Upgrade potential this Sat?

I know there have been tons of these but this is a big deal to me and I would appreciate any insight you guys have real quick. I am very familiar with the US Airways program and how it works.

I am Gold Preferred with US Airways and purchased 2 tickets (me and my wife) to go to Costa Rica (Liberia, LIR) this Saturday. We are connecting through Charlotte and its straight from CLT - LIR. My question is this, my wife doesnt fly a lot and I would like for us to get first class (who wouldn't?) but I obviously do not know if we will be upgraded. I know they are offering upgrade with mileage for 15k per person per trip but our first segment there is no mileage upgrade available, so it would be 30k miles to be upgraded for only 1 segment. A bit steep if you ask me especially when I have a good potential to be upgraded anyways.

They still have several mileage upgrades available and I have gotten out of the representatives at the preferred desk that there have been 2 FC seats actually sold.

My questions are these:

-Can I really infer anything from the fact that they still have mileage upgrades available or no?

-It is a Saturday and I cant image there are many Platinum or Chairmen flying that leg on Saturday. Maybe I am wrong?

-Does anyone have any advise they can give?

Also any other comments? I obviously want FC but dont want to eat the 30k miles just to find out I would have been upgraded anyways. Just looking for insight here...

Thanks guys!