FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Some hotels with free Wi-Fi consider charging for it
Old Jun 30, 2012, 1:23 pm
Jorgen

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by jair101
LCC concept applied to hotels. I guess wi-fi is slowly turning in to the next "baggage fee".

If you want low cost room - you can stay without wi-fi and breakfast, if you want the internet and food you pay extra and sometimes even more then the price for the hotel room itself.
The thing is that actual inexpensive hotels include for free the stuff that expensive hotels charge for. Stay in a Super 8 for $44.99 a night? Free wifi, free bottled water. Stay in the Hyatt for $299? That'll be $18.99 for the wifi and $4 a bottle for water.

Why do they do these things? I mean, I know the short answer is "because they can", but is the extra profit they make by selling these things at a ridiculous markup really sufficient to overcome the damage they're doing to their brand? I have a personal vendetta against Hyatt right now who tried to charge me $4.36 for a bottle of water I didn't even drink (or see!) -- was it really worth it, Hyatt?

Imagine if airlines worked the same way. Economy-class passengers get to use the restroom for free, but First-Class passengers have to pay nine bucks a pop. Hey, they've already told us they're price-insensitive, let's gouge 'em some more!