FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Time Share Presentation:AC J/Y, OZ F/C, CA Y, TG F/C/Y, LH F/C, Maglev, Renfe AVE
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:47 pm
worldtraveller73

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Air China
PVG-PEK (Shanghai Pudong International – Beijing Capital International)
CA 985 – Economy Class (Y)
11:30 AM – 01:45 PM
May 9, 2012
Booked: Boeing 777-200/300
Flown: Boeing 737-800

Since MsWT73 had never seen the Great Wall of China, I had planned for us to take a side trip to Beijing, outside of our reward ticket (a paid nested trip inside our reward ticket). I had wanted to take the trains, so we could experience the longest bridge in the world that was part of the high speed train, but I had found that the train reservation system to be overly complicated. I learned that tickets had to be purchased at the train station, at the English Counter, or through your hotel. We were on a tight timeline and I didn’t want to bother attempting to purchase tickets while I was on the ground in Shanghai so I decided on the Air option.

I booked an Air China airfare via their website (Canada edition) and experienced the same challenge that many others have had in finding discounted fares. In the end, I was unable to find any discounted fares (later learning about c-trip and their internet booking service) and I settled on tickets for two in “Y” fare economy- the only fare available online. Even the Chinese site wasn't offering me any relief!! The tickets were $418 USD each round trip, taxes in for a 1036 mile journey each way.

On arrival at Shanghai Pu Dong International Airport, we made our way over to the Domestic Departures at the far left side of the Terminal. Aisle number one was reserved for Top Tier customers. There were greater frequencies from the Shanghai Hongqiao airport (6 flights a day versus 2 flights a day) but I was keen on trying out the Air China Lounges and the proof that a lounge even existed at Hongqiao was minimal at best.

The check in was deserted, but the red carpet was out, in the theme of the Chinese Royal Treatment for Star Alliance Gold travelers.

During our check in at the priority counter, and even flying in economy with a Star Gold card, we were given a voucher for a golf cart ride to the gate. I was a little amused at this, until when we were zipping through the concourse of PVG, that I realized how far the gate actually was from the security screening checkpoint. It would have been at least a 15 minute walk across 6 flat moving escalators. Indeed, it was not a place where people were hanging around.

Our driver put his hat back on as soon as he realized I was starting to take pictures. Indeed, that sign does read gate number 98. Where we were headed at the very end of the terminal.

Air China PVG Domestic Lounge.

With an Aeroplan Elite Star Gold card in hand, we set out to try the Air China Shanghai Domestic Lounge. I had previously read a lot of negative comments about the lounges in China, but really it was a pleasant way to spend a hour before a flight.

The lounge was spacious with free wifi. There were pork buns, congee, crackers and assorted cookies.

The view while seated in the lounge was pleasant as well. We'd find this open air concept to be a trend with our Chinese Lounge visits.

I did try the Great Wall of China Chardonnay, China's contribution to table wine. It was okay, but nothing that was going to make Wine Spectator anytime soon.

We headed down to board at the time listed on the boarding card and discovered that most, or all of the plane, had been boarded a head of us. We also quickly discovered that we had been down gauged from a Boeing 777-300 that we had booked, to a Boeing 737-800 in the standard 3-3 configuration. Oh blah.

I know that taking photos of law enforcement and military are usually large no no's overseas, but I couldn't help but sneak a shot of this outfit. He was checking passports / ID cards prior to getting on the plane.

The seat was pretty standard. And we had a Chinese meal of noodles, carrots and yoghurt to accompany the 90 minute flight.

We landed at the massive Beijing Capital Airport - the second largest airport terminal in the world behind Atlanta's Hartsfield Jackson and the busiest airport in Asia.