FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - asia travel plans, how to start?
View Single Post
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:36 am
civico

Originally Posted by SzatRyan

When your ready to fly back home, Aerosvit airlines has many flights available BKK to JFK for $325ish dollars.....its a no frills airlines (I've flown many times) but gets you to A to B....I'm not big on first class travel, but would rather spend my money enjoying my destination...but to each his own!
This is what makes Flyertalk such an amazing resource! I've been flying to and from Asia for a while now as well, and consider myself a pretty seasoned veteran and yet I've never heard of Aerosvit Airlines or this amazing deal from BKK to JFK. You learn something new everyday...THANKS SZATRYAN! Can't wait to try this deal out!

Who cares about comfort if you can get one way from BKK to JFK for the price of a domestic flight!

Originally Posted by SzatRyan
Correction to my last post - United MAY only offer free stopovers on Round Trip Tickets - not one way.you will have to check on this (I think it often just depends on what kind of agent you get when you call up!)...but there are often options for a LONG layover if you wish....for example...I booked a one way from JFK to BKK with a 19 hour layover in Brussels this coming december....plenty of time to leave the airport and see belgium before my connecting flight to BKK
The official rules state that you can only have a stopover if you are flying roundtrip. It is considered a stopover if you spend more than 24 hours in a place that is not your final destination when flying internationally. Anything less than 24 hours is considered a connection, which is allowed any time. Hence, the reason you were able to have a layover in Brussels for 19 hours.

Now...United isn't known for allowing you to bend the rules as much as USAirways (which basically allows you to do anything), but you could try to throw in a stopover on a one-way ticket. My gut tells me that 8 out of 10 agents will know its not allowed, but really, it doesn't hurt to try. I've scored some pretty sweet tickets just because I was willing to call up and try (and sometimes try again). All depends how much time you want to put in to it.