FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avis First - Does any EVER receive an automatic upgrade?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:19 am
mmcgrat6

It really depends on the agent handling you

I rent weekly from the same location and have been doing so for well over a 18 months. I usually reserve a compact or intermediate and leave with no less than a full size class or premium class vehicle every time. In most cases my make and model preferences have been waiting without needing to go to the Preferred counter at all. But this unfortunately can be attributed to the relationships I've developed with several members of the Avis Preferred staff rather than Avis First status. These individuals normally work daytime during the week and the generous and appreciative attitude they exhibit is not shared by those attending that counter during any other shifts. On one occasion a member of what I affectionately refer to as the JV squad was unrelenting about a double upgrade request in the absence of any vehicles one class above my reservation. Not that it was one of my best moments, but she eventually granted the double upgrade after I commented that the double upgrade vehicle was available, not her personal vehicle, impacted her life in no negative manner to let me drive it, and digging in her heels would imply the company motto might be more appropriately changed to "We try harder to do the minimum it takes to prevent a cancellation." I'm not particularly proud of that but that particular agent and I are now very friendly and she even apologized for being difficult with a discretionary coupon the staff keep on hand to apologize for hiccups in the process. So as the old adage goes, ultimately it's all about relationships.