FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Was this woman running a "wheelchair scam?"
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:23 am
oldpenny16
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Yes, I do agree.

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
People seem to think that using a wheelchair has benefits. I'd gladly trade places with anyone who wants to use my chair. I'd love to be able to stand in line again.

I've posted before, but a few years ago, there were 30+ people in wheelchairs waiting for one flight I was on. I was the only one who couldn't get up and walk when it was time to board. I was pre-boarded because of the need for assistance. The others were pre-boarded too, but every one of them walked to their seat. Seeing that bothered me, but I'm sure some of them were for real.
That said when my leg was at its worst I was able to seat myself. I had to major issues when using it: it hurt! and fall risk.

I did have falls and some close calls but mostly at home when I was trying to do something that I wasn't really ready to do. At one point in my own property I had to telephone my husband for help after getting into a situation I could not solve.

I've learned not to judge people's reasons for asking for assistance. I should have asked more often!