FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to test prepaid SIM is activated?
View Single Post
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:54 am
emailersss

Originally Posted by Yaatri
As I understand, registration has two meanings. When you first buy a SIM, the vendor registers the SIM with the network whose SIM it is to your name, SSN or some other ID and activates it. The two are done simultaneously in the U.S. and many other countries.
The other meaning of registration is what happens when your phone is turned on, after being powered off, or your SIM registers itself with another network with which your networks has service agreement, provided the network is compatible with the technology in your phone.

Yes, I am using "register" in the policy sense, where one would register his/her information with the govt or service provider. It's not a legal requirement to do such in Ireland, so I probably won't.

I contacted o2 and they already replied to my email
The CSR is telling me to dial the number that allows one to check a balance. I'm fairly sure I won't be able to do this since I don't have service yet, but I'll try tonight. If it doesn't work I'll try emailing o2 again and phrase my question differently.

Originally Posted by star_world
In the case of many PAYG SIMs, in Ireland and other countries, you have to enable international roaming with the provider before they will register with an overseas network.
Originally Posted by Yaatri
The advice regarding putting another SIM etc, will not help you at all, if the SIM has no current registration, or if international roaming has not be turned on.
That makes a lot of sense...thanks to both of you for clearing that up. Basically I won't be able to connect to AT&T or T-Mobile since roaming is not enabled by o2.

Last edited by emailersss; Jun 25, 2012 at 9:15 am