FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Change fee debacle
View Single Post
Old Jun 22, 2012, 8:37 am
steves

Programs: AA (US) gold, HH gold, Bonvoy gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by steves View Post
I see all over the web site that I have 24 hours to cancel or change my reservation without a fee. ...

I only inform to let people know about another kink in the system.
This isn't a kink. The free 24 hour refund is on new tickets, not on changes. You made a change so it doesn't apply to you.

The rule is this:
Quote:
When you book and ticket a reservation through United Reservations, united.com, at our ticket counters or city ticket offices, or if you use MileagePlus® miles to book an award ticket on United, we will allow you to cancel the ticketed reservation without penalty and receive a 100 percent refund if you cancel the reservation within 24 hours of purchase and if the reservation is made one week or more prior to scheduled flight departure.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow - I am somewhat surprised at the great support United has from their customers. How most people could assume that a flight to San Francisco from Boston cancelled 8 months ago - and the resulting credit is used to buy a brand new ticket (new ticket number, new PNR) from Albany to Las Vegas is a "change" instead of using a credit used to make a new reservation is not the way most regular persons would interpret the situation. I'm just saying if you lined up 12 regular folks they would probably not see it the way the airline does. It is just too bad that these small matters take up so much time and effort else-wise the airlines would be spending a lot of time in court defending their actions, and their terms of contract would end up being a lot more clear (or lenient or user friendly for public relations purposes)