FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Was this woman running a "wheelchair scam?"
Old Jun 21, 2012, 1:58 pm
HKG_Flyer1

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Was this woman running a "wheelchair scam?"

I was arriving DFW yesterday on a Delta flight in first class. A rather large woman was sitting in seat 1B. Upon landing, she started to get up, when the flight attendant cam over and said "you can sit down if you like and I can have the wheelchair brought on after every one has deplaned." The wheelchair user said, "No, I'd just prefer to stand." Following this, she started grabbing her large, heavy bags out of the overhead compartment.

Once we got off, she said to the wheelchair porter, "I'll just meet you at the top of the jetbridge." At this point, she transferred all her bags to the wheelchair, which he then pushed (fully-loaded) up to the departure lounge.

She then got in the wheelchair, he had the bags, and he proceeded to wheel her the short distance to the baggage claim area. At this point, she handed the guy a few bucks, and said "I think I can manage from here." She then collected a heavy bag from the baggage carousel, and took off walking at a good clip with her baggage in tow-- out the door.

...?