FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Associated Press: TSA to allow Orlando-Sanford (SFB) Airport to use private screeners
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:42 am
jkhuggins

Originally Posted by tkey75
So you would rather have pizza box applicants?
Lovely non-sequitur there.

But if you're going to go there, let me point this out. The US Army recruits on pizza boxes, too:

Yet we seem to hold these pizza-box-ad-responders in higher respect than those who respond to pizza-box-ads from TSA.

My point: I'm not concerned about where someone finds out about a job. I'm concerned about whether or not they're qualified to do the job. The previous job held may, or may not, have any relevance to that question.

Originally Posted by tkey75
Serving as an banking executive and serving as a TSAer are largely unrelated. Armed forces vet and TSAer are not. Both are charged with protecting the country.
But in completely different ways.

The vast majority of TSOs are not trained in the use of firearms in order to perform their duties, because it's not relevant. All members of the armed forces are trained in the use of firearms, because it's directly relevant. (They are "armed" forces, of course.) The missions are different; consequently, the means used to accomplish those missions are different.

And one could easily argue that banking executives also have a charge to protect our country. Banks are subjected to a host of regulations in the name of "homeland security". (Their effectiveness or appropriateness is, of course, a debate for another forum.)

Again, back to my point: prior experience in an unrelated job does not, a priori, make one qualified for the next job.