FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CDG Flight Connection
View Single Post
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:02 am
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you miss a 14:05 long haul flight, it's hard to see how you could be reticketed, go through passport control and security, and make a 14:55 schengen departure, especially if you do not have access no.1 privileges or the use of elite customer service lines.

Unless there are extraordinary circumstances, I don't think AF would rebook you onto *A flights through FRA or VIE and AFAIK the only legal SkyTeam flights to BKK would be through either AMS or CDG, although there might be something creative like SU through SVO, a Chinese carrier, or even new members such as Vietnam or Saudia. Regardless, the probelm is likely to be getting rebooked and to the new international gateway airport in time for a same day departure to Asia.

AF is likely to try hard to keep you on AF/KLM metal or at worst (to them) JV partner flights, although elites can be successful in pushing for other flights within the same alliance. This is written from a USA perspective, so EU protection laws might help you do do better.

ADDED. Another strategy would be to ask for any remaining AF flights departing the same day to Asia, such as CDG-NRT or CDG-SIN depending on its schedule. From a major Asian hub, there should be flights or connections within SkyTeam to BKK, although the best chances might be through China, assuming that you are eligible to transit without visa. CDG-ICN-BKK might also be possible and pleasant, but it's far out of the way.
I think it's a bit early to look into the specific best rebooking strategy beyond what you rightly identify as the obvious choices- af and kl - especially not knowing which day the op is flying. At this stage all we can do is say (1) it's doable but tight so don't go slow and (2) if you are late there is a flight with kl at 14.55 from cdg everything else would be plentiful (because most flights to Asia from Europe leave in the evening) but up to them.

Btw I don't want to get too hypothetical but don't really agree on ams. 50 minutes more is a lot (eg if op arrive, say, at 1.40 they'd miss Bkk but would easily make ams) and as op arrives from lhr they need to reclear security anyway this only adds passport control which is typically very fast at the dedicated 2e to 2f transit channel. But again these are only indications. To op, in a nutshell if you arrive with enough time walk or run straight to your flight, if you are too late walk or run to a transfer desk.

Ps: no skyteam airline flying direct to Bkk from sin or nrt so both would imply further connections. If I made a wild guess if af offered an Asian rerouting I'd guess af to Vietnam then vn but again too many factors to guess about.