FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Driving a U-Haul Colorado Springs to Seattle, which route?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:26 am
HawaiiTrvlr

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by cblaisd
A related question.... For those who have driven both, is there a lot of difference between driving a 10' and 16' truck?

Given the price for motels on I-80 in Wyoming (gas boom?), I'm now leaning toward #3
I would think a couple of differences are that the longer truck could be harder to manuever (backing up, pulling into spaces, etc) just because of the length. I would expect weighs more as well so could take longer to stop. I once drove a larger U-Haul towing a truck from CA to OH. It was entirely on freeways and took a while to get used to.

As for your route choice, there is no way I would take a u-haul on mtns roads like Hwy 24/9 in CO unless I absolutely had to. Keeping it on the freeway would be best (in my opinion). Besides, gas prices are higher in those mtn towns. As for route 1, if you go an extra 100 miles or so to Rock Springs hotel prices are cheaper (more selection). It would be worth driving the extra 2 hours or so for a savings of 25-35%.