FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Waitlisted miles+copay upgrade expired - not on list at the gate!
Old Jun 10, 2012, 5:48 pm
Baze
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PilotChris
I don't normally use miles+money upgrades, but then again often don't book a qualifying fare code. As I was in U on this trip I decided to try it...

I was booked DTW-ORD-MUC for my return leg. I had placed an upgrade request using miles + copay approximately a week before departure. I was on the phone with reservations a few days prior to departure for another topic, but the agent cheerfully noted that my upgrade position "looked good."

24 hours prior to departure I received a VERY confusingly-worded email that the upgrade waitlist had expired (implying that the wait list would not be cleared at the gate -- but why would that be?)

Just inside 24 hours I called to change to a different DTW-ORD flight (as I needed some more time in ORD). The agent at the time confirmed that I was "still on the list" for my miles and copay upgrade.

The DTW-ORD flight cleared at the gate (but now I think this was a CPU).

In ORD (where I spent all day working) I noticed that I was NOT on the upgrade list per the mobile app. I checked TWICE at the United Club counter and both times the rep confirmed to me that I was "on the upgrade list" for my ORD-MUC flight -- even after my pointing out that I didn't show up on the mobile app's upgrade list.

Getting to the gate and seeing myself quite clearly NOT on the list, I inquired with the GA and was rudely brushed off with the answer "miles + copay upgrades can't be waitlisted". Even though we were an hour from departure, she refused to let me switch to a GPU.

Once on the flight, the guy next to me told me he was #4 on the list... using MILES AND A COPAY!

To recap:
  • Telephone rep says "You're on the list. Position looks good."
  • Get waitlist expiration email.
  • Telephone rep re-confirms that I'm "on the list."
  • United club rep confirms TWICE that I'm "on the list" even though I'm not showing up in the mobile app.
  • Get to gate and I'm clearly not on the list. GA almost laughs when I ask about a mileage upgrade and tells me they don't waitlist those.

<Rant to United>
It's unclear what combination of clueless telephone reps, uninformed GAs or SHARES shenanigans caused this, but the net result is one very unhappy 1k customer. I'm 1k, was ticketed in U and should have been near the top of that list. I took a huge bruising at work because I was NOT able to finalize a contract and close the biggest deal in our pipeline the next morning.
</Rant to United>

<Plea to Flyertalk Community>
Where did I go wrong? What could I have done differently (besides use a GPU)?
</Plea to Flyertalk Community>
1K on a U fare is no guarantee you will be near the top of the list. International flight any GS would be ahead of you. Any 1K on a higher fare would be ahead of you.

If getting to an international destination rested is that important to you and the company you work for you should be buying business class and not relying on upgrades. You not closing the deal because you did not get upgraded have nothing to do with each other. Totally has to do with your companies travel policies though. Either buy business or leave a day earlier. And if your company won't do either of those then not much UA can do about getting you to an international destination rested.