FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Waitlisted miles+copay upgrade expired - not on list at the gate!
Old Jun 10, 2012, 3:59 pm
WineCountryUA
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PilotChris
... Getting to the gate and seeing myself quite clearly NOT on the list, I inquired with the GA and was rudely brushed off with the answer "miles + copay upgrades can't be waitlisted". ...
agent was wrong, you can & should have been on the waitlist (called upgrade standby list after T-24). This incorrect transfer from the waitlist to the upgrade standbay list has happened to many.

...Even though we were an hour from departure, she refused to let me switch to a GPU. ...
agent was correct about this. It is a present system limitation supposely on the list for enhancement.
It may be no new upgrade request after T-24 that was confusing the agent on miles+$ request.

..Telephone rep says "You're on the list. Position looks good."...
never a realible source

... Where did I go wrong? What could I have done differently (besides use a GPU)?
this is an ongoing problem, one suggestion that has worked for folks when you hear the "we see you on the list but you do not show" is to ask to be rechecked in for the flight. This has helped some.