FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Another addiction fuelled RTW in F on One World
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:13 am
Moomba

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
More positioning flights aka Why fly direct when you can go via somewhere else

My next dilemma on this RTW journey was how to get myself back from the final destination back to the UK. After my success in the super open jaw ex AMS tickets I decided to try my luck again.

Finding myself without a ticket out of town for the 4-day weekend courtesy of QEII reaching some milestone I started to look around for appropriate destinations for a weekend. I found myself drawn back to CPT where as you know I was not able to get out much due to my cold at the start of this epic journey. So it was I somehow, without too much convincing, ended up with another ex AMS open jaw that got me to CPT and returned at the end of the RTW from NBO. A little searching and not too much effort later I found an award flight to get me back from CPT after the long weekend.

As the final sector of the RTW will end in Nairobi (NBO) this series of reports now form part of this mega thread.

Ok he is babbling again I hear you say.

The start of this little excursion is not all that dissimilar to my previous jaunt to Tokyo with the most significant exception being that I purchased an economy fare from LCY-AMS to start the trip, yes you heard correctly, E C O N O M Y. This trip also did not involve an overnight in AMS and a stupid o’clock start from there.

I left work early again to catch my Y LCY-AMS flight and timed it much better this trip arriving at LCY airport with around 40 minutes to go before the flight. Security was a breeze and I was airside in no time. The flight showed as boarding a few minutes after I got airside and I made my way down to the gate.

I showed my BP and PP and the little machine beeped and showed red with the message ‘not checked in’. The agent typed away for a bit and said you have been upgraded to Club and had wrote my new seat number, 3B on the BP.

The dispatcher then said to me I am trying to organise a meal for you but as you were an involuntary upgrade we may not be able to get one. I thought ah, so when is an upgrade a downgrade? I gave up my window seat for an aisle for a service where the only significant difference is the meal that I may not get.

This time in the lounge they did not have a cordoned off section for elites and Club passengers so I just grabbed a seat and waited for boarding.

The lounge filled up and the agents finally started to board the aircraft. Again they chose one passenger to lead the way prior to letting the rest of us out.

I joined the scrum and made my way along the tarmac and up the stairs to board through the front door.

Flight BA8455 LCY-AMS Seat 3B
Aircraft: E170
Departure time: 15:30

At the top of the stairs the purser greeted me and directed me to my seat.
Boarding continued and the plane filled up, as expected as I did get an op-up. There was only a single seat in Club left unoccupied by the time we pushed back.

The lady next to me had to deposit her carryon bag a few rows back as the club section filled quite quickly. The crew had to gate check a couple bags from down the back.

The captain announced a flight time of 40 minutes and we closed doors and pushed back at 15:29. Five minutes later we were about to hurtle down the runway and the woman next to me crossed herself, which made me smile.

Nothing much to report on this short flight. It was much the same as the week before. I was able to score a meal as someone further up the cabin declined so I am not sure whether I got the meal because of that or the dispatcher had come through. There were two types of meal on board, a ploughman’s platter or a feta cheese salad. Both were served with cheese and crackers and a slice of fruitcake. I drank a bottle of the little Pommery bubbles that BA use in Club Europe and the flight ended with a hot towel service. We touched down at 17:15 and taxied to the same gate we pulled into the week before.

I thanked the crew and made my way up the long finger back to the BA lounge where I needed to bide my time until my next flight to LHR.

I grabbed a scotch and dry and some nibbles from the meagre offerings and whilst at the self-service bar heard one gent saying to his colleague “You think they could have champagne, they have Cognac after all”. Hmm I wonder if he was an FTer.

Again I made my way down to the gate early, before any announcements were made in the lounge. After clearing security I could my gate had already commenced boarding and I joined the queue. I wasn’t sure if there was any sot of fast track, it was not obvious if there was. I made my way to the front and on down to the aircraft after the usual BP and PP checks.

Flight BA0441 AMS-LHR Seat 2F
Aircraft: A321
Departure time: 19:10

I made my way to my seat and stowed my gear. The plane filled up and there were 7 rows of Club Europe almost completely occupied. A hot towel was handed out on the ground and doors closed and push back was early at 19:05. A very long taxi again and we finally took off at 19:22.

The meal on this flight was another ploughman’s platter and I washed this down with some ore bubbly.

There were no announcements from the front of the bus until just short of Heathrow when the first officer announced we would be circling for 10 minutes before we could make final approach. We landed at 19:18 and made our way to a gate at the A terminal building.

Once off the plane I made my way up the ramp and followed the signs to flight connections. At the entrance to the tensor barrier queue an agent asked to see my BP and on seeing a Club World pass directed me down the fast track route. My passport and BP were then checked by an agent and I made my way upstairs to a fast track security screening that lived up to its name.

After clearing security I made my way to the South lounge complex and into the BA First lounge. I grabbed a glass of the LP Grand Siecle champagne and a bite from the self-service area. There was a curry, some slow cooked pork belly, mini pies, salads, hot vegetables and deli meats available.

Around 30 minutes prior to the gate closing time on the BP I made my way over the B terminal building via the underground transit system. Upstairs I wandered down to the gate where boarding had already commenced. I used the dedicated fast track lane and had my BP and PP checked again and made my way down to the aircraft.

Flight BA0057 LHR-JNB Seat 62K
Aircraft: 747-400
Departure time: 21:20

The usual on-board pre-departure of juice, water or bubbly was offered and the amenity kits containing elemis products were handed out. Of course I asked for bubbly as my pre-departure tipple.
The captain came on the horn and made his welcome speech and announced a flight time of 10 hours and 10 minutes.

We pushed back at 21:22 and made our way to the runway nearest the T5 end of the airport.

After take-off the menu cards were handed out along with a drinks round and a hot towel. I decided to fire up the IFE whilst sipping my Kir Royale and bag of nuts.

What a let down after the 777-300 aircraft. You can only have 20 tracks in your playlist and cannot listen to music when the flight map is displayed. The choice of video and audio programs was really limited in comparison.

The map function wasn’t working properly and according to the system we had over 16 hours yet to fly. The CSD dropped by to welcome me and I asked if these birds could even fly for 16 hours and pointed to the screen. He laughed and said I don’t think they can.

DINNER
STARTERS

Poached Scottish salmon with grilled asparagus, saffron potatoes and tarragon cream dressing

Grilled summer vegetables with marinated bocconcini and basil dressing

SALAD
Fresh seasonal salad served with vinaigrette

MAIN
Fillet of Aberdeen Angus beef with shallot and red wine jus, colcannon potato and baby carrot Vichy

Severn and Wye roasted cod with watercress spelt risotto, lemon verbena and radish sauce

Thai green vegetable curry with baked tofu and jasmine rice

Chilled main course salad of citrus-poached corn-fed chicken with wild rice, quinoa, orange fillets and pistachios

DESSERT
Chocolate and strawberry Mogador

Butler’s Secret Cheddar and Melusine goat’s cheese served with black grapes and biscuits

A selection of fruit

Chocolates

WINES
CHAMPAGNE

CHAMPAGNE COCKTAILS

Kir Royale
Crème de Cassis gives this cocktail its distinctive taste

Buck’s Fizz
Crisp dry champagne and naturally sweet orange juice

Taittinger Brut Reserve NV Champagne
Champagne Taittinger’s origin date back to 1734, and today it is one of the few Champagne Houses to be owned and actively managed by the family named on the label; Pierre Taittinger acquired the House in the early 1930’s. Taittinger Brut Reserve characterises the House style, which uses a high percentage of Chardonnay in the blend. Such Chardonnay dominance helps create a style of delicacy and finesse that merits the Gold Medal awarded at the Decanter World Wine Awards 2010. Its lean palate has considerable depth and elegance with a long, fresh finish making it a perfect aperitif.

WHITE
Sancerre 2010, Chateau de Thauvenay, Loire Valley, France
Winner of a Gold Medal at Lyon’s International Wine Competition 2012, this is a bright, fresh, vibrant Sauvignon Blanc with hints of lemon, pineapple and sherbet, freshly cut grass and flinty note of a newly struck spark. This vintage is typical of the appellation. The splendid chateau and estate owned by the Comte de Choulot and his family date back to 1819 and the time of the Napoleon. Perfect as an aperitif or with any of the starters, especially the goat’s cheese.

Glen Carlou Chardonnay 2010, Paarl, South Africa
South Africa’s Classic Wine Trophy now sits next to this wine’s Gold Medal from the International Wine Challenge 2010. Both accolades are proud acknowledgements of the rich barrel-fermented style of one of South Africa’s most iconic Chardonnays. There is minerality and hints of ripe pear, apple and lemon to contrast with the creamy, spicy and vanilla notes from the French oak. Winemaker Arco Laarman has crafted another gem with the 2010. Try it with the chicken or vegetarian options.

RED
Saint-Joespeh 2009, Cave Saint-Desirat, Rhone, France
Ruby in colour, the is a true gem from the northern Rhone. Entirely unoaked it is made exclusively from the Syrah grape, here in its heartland. Fresh blackberry and black cherry fruit combine with some light, savoury, meaty flavours with a pinch of sweet spices and white pepper notes. This wine is medium weight and lower in alcohol that some, but rounded, elegant and well balanced. Ideal with any of the beef dishes.

Paradale Vintners Cabernet Sauvignon 2009, Barossa Valley, South Australia
A big, rich, spicy Cabernet with lashings of cassis, blueberry and stewed black fruit flavours, soft and full-bodied: this classic Barossa style. Winemaker Paul Linder has crafted a wine that’s both big and subtle, with some spicy vanilla notes from 12 months aging in French oak barrels. Perfect to savour on its own or with cheese, this Cabernet goes well, too, with any of the spicier dishes.

THE BAR
APERITIFS AND COCKTAILS

Campari
Martini Dry
Cointreau
Southern Comfort
Smirnoff Blue
Messenes Crème de Cassis
Tanqueray
Gordon’s Gin
Tia Maria
Baileys
Tio Pepe
Bacardi

WHISKIES
Glenlivet 15-year-old Malt
Jack Daniel’s
Johnnie Walker Black
Drambuie 15-year-old Speyside Malt Liqueur

COGNAC
Otard VSOP Cognac

BEER
Grolsch Premium
Fuller’s London Pride
Heineken

SOFT DRINKS
Coca-Cola
Diet Coca-Cola
Sprite
Sparkling Mineral Water
Tonic Water
Canada Dry
Bitter Lemon
Diet Tonic
Fanta Orange
Still Mineral Water
Soda Water

JUICES
Apple
Tomato
Orange
Cranberry

TWININGS TEA ROOM
A selection of refreshing teas and infusions including: English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Pure Green, Peppermint, Camomile and Cranberry, Raspberry and Elderflower

Ground Coffee
Decaffeinated Coffee

I started with the salmon starter that seemed to have quite a fishy flavour to it that I am not used to experiencing with salmon.

After this and the salad were devoured my main course beef was delivered. It was not as delicious as the beef on my NRT flight and I always think the sauce on the side in a tinfoil bowl looks tacky.

The crew were great throughout the meal and there were plenty of refills of wine and offers of bread. I was all tuckered out after the main and declined any offer of dessert or cheese. I finished off the meal with a glass of the single malt and the small chocolates.

Around 1.5 hours out of JNB the lights came on the crew came out with juice or smoothie and a hot towel. I grabbed a smoothie that was exceedingly thick.

BREAKFAST
STARTERS
Chilled fruit juice

An energising fruit smoothie of plum and blueberry

Fresh fruit

West Country granola with fruit compote and natural yoghurt

BAKERY
A selection of warm breads and breakfast pastries

MAIN
Traditional English breakfast of scrambled eggs, crispy streaky bacon, Saddleback sausage, tomato and sautéed potatoes

Spanish-style potato omelette

Blueberry French toast crumble with blueberry syrup

I decided to go with the granola that was quite nice and light to start with some OJ and a cup of coffee.

For the main course I went with the Spanish omelette that has cemented my opinion that BA can’t do breakfast unless it is the full fat greasy English breakfast.

After breakfast the cabin was cleared away ready for landing into JNB. The captain came on the blower and told us we had been given a straight in routing and would be on the ground early.

We landed at 08:44, which was followed by a long, long taxi to the gate. I thanked the crew and walked downstairs to await the doors opening. Door 1 was used and I had to wait for First and Premium Econ to get off before I was able to join the rest of Business in disembarking.

It was a long walk to immigration and there were significant queues for both the locals and foreigner lines. They moved quite quickly and I was processed in less than 10 minutes.

With no luggage to collect I was able to make my way out of customs and upstairs in search of the domestic portion of the terminal. I was wandering along looking for where the BA flights check-in and an airport worker asked me who I was flying with. I said BA and he said right down the end.

I made my way down and with my already printed BP in hand I joined the queue for security. It took a few minutes to make it through but I was foiled a little by the lack of a decent prep area where I could take out laptop, liquids etc. People kept pushing past me as I was getting ready as they didn’t need to do anything in preparation. I was soon done though and made my way through and followed the signs to the lounges on the upper level.

I found the strangely named SLOW lounge that BA use and was welcomed inside. Inside the lounge there were various seating areas with a alcove of computers, a games room and a quiet room. There was a manned bar with barista and a table laid out with breakfast items including fruit, pasties, cereals, juices, yoghurt, cheese etc.

I parked myself down one end in a seat looking out over the apron. I grabbed a bowl of fruit and yoghurt and a coffee and settled in for a few hours. I needed to go to the front desk in order to get a piece of paper with a username and password for the internet. The wifi was a little patchy and suffered from drop outs a fair bit. I did what I needed to do and sat and read for most of the rest of my stay.

At around 11:00 the meal spread switched over to a more lunch feel with the cheese remaining but the other items were replaced with salads, wraps and sandwiches of various assortments.

I left the lounge 30 minutes prior to the flight closing time and made my way to the gate. I joined the queue just before boarding began and there was no fast track or priority boarding for the flight.

My BP and BP were checked and I was on my way down to the old 737-400 aircraft.

Flight BA6417 JNB-CPT Seat 2A
Aircraft: B737-400
Departure time: 12:50

On board I was welcomed and directed to my seat. As the flight continued to board I was offered a newspaper and a pre-departure beverage of water, kiwi-cranberry juice or sparkling wine. The sparkling wine was not on the tray but the purser said he would get some for me if I desired. I liked the sound of the juice so I went with that instead.

The captain announced a flight time of 1 hour and 55 minutes before we closed up. When the doors were closed there were 8 in the business class cabin that was laid out in 3 rows of a 2-3 configuration.

There was no one seated next to me and I was able to spread out a bit which was great when carting around a great stonking DSLR these days. I usually need to rest it in my lap but was able to make use of the space between the two seats on this flight.

We pushed back at 12:47 and after a shorter taxi we took off at 12:56. Once in the air a hot towel was handed out and I could hear that the service down the back consisted of a hot lunch. They still do hot lunches in economy on flights less than 2 hours? Those down the back had a choice of a chicken curry or a mac and cheese.

Up the front the service started with a round of drinks. I went with the usual scotch and dry and upon asking the purser reeled off a range of scotches. I went the bog standard Johnnie black on this occasion.
The drinks round were served with a packet of nuts and I was offered a refill of the drink before the lunch started.

The lunch tray was brought out and had a small Greek salad on the tray along with a packet of crackers and a small chocolate.

The purser offered me a choice of red and white wines. On the white front there was a Chenin / Sauvignon Blanc blend or a straight Sauvignon Blanc. Of the reds there was a Cabernet Sauvignon / Pinotage or a Shiraz.

I tried the Sauv B with the starter but it was not really to my liking and when the purser offered a refill I declined.
After I had eaten the salad the purser came out again with a tray with each of the main courses to view. On offer there was a beef fillet with mushroom sauce a vegetarian lasagne or a seafood dish with vegetables.
Proving to a bit boring I went with the beef. On reading this last series of reports one could think it is all I eat. Perhaps because I rarely eat it at home I tend to gravitate to beef when I am travelling. I tried the Cabernet Sauvignon with this dish and was equally unimpressed as I was with the white.

After the main the purser came around again and offered some cheese ‘to go with the crackers on your tray’ or a milk pudding ‘that is really lovely’.

I went with the dessert option and after eating it spent my time staring out the window watching the African landscape pass by below.

The purser on the flight was fabulous and used my name constantly throughout the flight. As this was an old bucket there was no entertainment at all on the flight but that didn’t really bother me with such great views to look out upon.

We landed at 14:42 and I was soon off the plane and through the airport and in my car onwards to my home for the next three nights the Westin hotel.

More Photos