FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Encore vs. Mandarin; luxury for non-gamers
Old Jun 9, 2012, 8:08 am
NYC Flyer

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Encore vs. Mandarin; luxury for non-gamers

Hey guys, haven't been to Vegas in over 10 years and am taking my girlfriend who's never been for a two night stay on our way to California in early July. I've seen some positives and negatives but would appreciate some fresh insight and your advice. Visa Signature offer at MO is roughly same as Virtuoso offer at Encore, both under $200 with room credits and breakfast. We will not have a car.

Want:
Nice pool, preferably with shade/umbrella availability without cabana fees
Access to good variety of quality restaurants and bars--more eclectic than fancy
Tasteful, modern, chic and clean room.
Highly polished service.
Good base for exploring other close by hotels on foot (in july heat)

Don't want/need:
Party scene/Jersey Shore convention
Buffets
High floor/view (GF not big on heights)

Though there are some great deals, I've ruled out Vdara and Aria, as I've read a few reports of "lack of follow through"/cleanliness issues. These appear to be luxury veneer rather than true luxury.

The MO seems like the obvious choice, but will be disappointed if execution is far below international MO standards or restaurant choice is limited.

Encore has larger rooms, nice collection of restaurants, and more of a "Vegas" feel. I'm sure it will be impressive, but concerned that crowd/atmosphere will annoy.

Would love to hear any strong arguments or insight in favor of one of these. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Jun 9, 2012 at 8:10 am Reason: Grammar