FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Overnight transit at DEL
View Single Post
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:39 am
aktchi

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Keyser
as far as airlines are concerned, if you want to stick to the same terminal then go with either jet or ai...for the other airlines you would have to change to the lcc terminal....
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Oh, that's a good point. Changing from Terminal 3 to the LCC terminal isn't fun. So I guess your choice is down to 9W and AI.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind if I choose the airport hotel. If transferring to an area hotel, then it doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Lucknow Duronto, if you are flying in on a Tuesday, Friday, or Sunday...
Flying in on Saturday. But for future reference, I don't know about this train, is it "reliable", say on par with LKO Mail or Shatabdi?

Originally Posted by jagmeets
Eaton was quite responsive on email. While not uber luxurious, i think this is probably a better option than the 'cheaper' options near IGIA - purely on account of the reduced hassle.
Eaton is about INR 10K for one night. Though expensive, this is not a significant sum in a round the world trip (ORD-HKG-BKK-DEL-AMM-YUL-ORD). It is just the feeling of being ripped off, like a $10 cup of coffee would give. Also, just as $200 is not a big deal in a rtw trip, the same is true of a 20-30 min taxi ride. Some good area hotels (I am not talking the cheapest layer) seem to be 1/3 to 1/2 this price and that includes airport transfers and breakfast. I realize that this is a personal decision that I have to make myself.

Originally Posted by jagmeets
PS: Why not take an overnight train to LKO? I see trains at 2330,2355,0040. You'll sleep better in the hotel though.
Most DEL-LKO trains are not reliable; I have many memories of sitting on a platform for hours waiting for my train. Lucknow Mail ~10PM and Shatabdi ~6AM are good, but I'll arrive too late for the former and the latter requires overnighting anyway.

I like trains and did think about that option, but I'll be tired, have luggage, and the schedules don't fit in this situation.

Last edited by aktchi; Jun 4, 2012 at 8:53 am