FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airline Status Match Master Thread
View Single Post
Old Oct 29, 2008, 8:39 pm
lucky9876coins
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow Airline Status Match Master Thread

With gleff's permission, I'm starting a new status match master thread, which I'll try to keep updated as much as possible. I've incorporated quite a bit of what was in the old thread, so feel free to PM me or post here with any changes, updates, etc., and I'll gladly edit them in this post.

gleff's wise words still apply to the industry, even over five years later:

As we approve the end of a benefits year, airlines are beginning to reveal changes to their frequent flyer programs for 2004. They want more revenue at a lower cost. Their static models probably predict that their changes will accomplish this. Some may, some may not.

But I believe it's important for us to remember that while they're doing their job, we don't have to be sympathetic. After all, we're customers. And we have every right to seek out the product that best fits our needs. If an airline program offers a better deal for our flying and buying patterns, by all means we should take advantage of that offer!

And many airlines make it easier for us to do so -- by matching our current status with elite privileges in their program.

One of the most frequently asked questions on Flyertalk, throughout the various forums, is "Will airline X match my titanium status in the Infinite Airways program?" or something to that effect. And since fellow flyers are beginning to think about their plans for 2004, I thought I'd take a stab at summarizing the "who will match what? and how do I do it?" conventional wisdom.
Before we start it might be worth mentioning (as obvious as it might sound) that you should also send a letter with your credentials explaining why you'd like to be matched, be it a change in travel patterns, frustration with your current airline of choice, etc.

So, here we go:

Aeroflot
Through December 31, 2010, Aeroflot will match status from One World or Star Alliance carriers with this application.

Air France
Through March 31, 2011, Air France is matching status from many airlines to equivalent tiers in Flying Blue. All the details can be found here.

Alaska

Will match status, generally to equivalent level, up to midtier (which is MVP Gold). Alaska does not status match to MVP Gold 75K.

Email a copy of your current elite statement or membership card to:

American

American typically doesn't status match, but offers challenges instead, whereby you have to earn a certain number of miles within 90 days to earn Gold or Platinum status. While challenges used to be free, American now charges $150 for the Gold challenge and $240 for the Platinum challenge. While it's non-refundable, you can sign-up for the Gold challenge and then pay the difference if you flew enough to qualify for the Platinum challenge.

British Midland

British Midland may be the only non-North American program with a regular status match program. They generally match up to Gold (top tier). Let's see how long that lasts given the possible takeover by LH. As of late they require you to have a ticket on bmi booked in order to status match.

Email or fax a copy of your most recent statement or elite card to:

Email: [email protected]
Fax: + 44 1623 724099
More details can be found in this thread.

Cathay Pacific

Based on this thread and other reports it seems like Cathay Pacific is willing to match up to Silver tier.

Continental

Will match status, generally to equivalent level up to Platinum (top tier).

Fax, email, or mail the following information:
  • Full Name
  • OnePass Account Number
  • Current Address
  • Current Phone Number
  • A copy of the most recent statement from the other airline showing status and current mileage
  • A copy of your current elite card from the other airline
OA Match Request
P.O. Box 4757
Houston, TX 77210-4757
Fax: 713-324-3702
[email protected]
Subject: OA Match

Delta

Will match status, generally to equivalent level up to Gold (mid-tier)

Fax a copy of your current elite statement or elite card to:

Delta Skymiles Service Center
Attn: Elite Status Match
Fax: 404-773-1945

El Al

Will match status, usually to a lower tier (e.g. CO Plat to Matmid Gold) than one's current status with another carrier.

To apply for a match you must already have an El Al Matmid number. Fax a copy of your elite status card & the last two months of your FF account statements, showing flights and points to:
El Al Airlines
Matmid Frequent Flyer Program
Fax # 011-972-3-760-4043
Once matched, you must requalify for status within 6 months.

Jet Airways
Based on this thread, Jet Airways will match up to JP Platinum, although they don't include upgrade vouchers.

LAN

Will match status, usually up to mid tier (Premium Silver). For full details see this thread.
SCAN and email or FAX your AAdvantage paper statements to LANPASS (+562-5658983) or [email protected]
United

Typically offers challenges whereby you have to fly a certain number of miles in 90 days to maintain the status. Unlike AA, they offer the status up front, so you start off as an elite. They'll generally only offer challenges up to Premier Executive.

Email, fax, or mail a copy of your current elite statement or elite card to:

Mileage Plus Service Center
Attention: Premier Status Match
P.O. Box 28870
Tucson, AZ 85726
Email: [email protected]
Fax: 605-341-6140
US Airways

US Airways is offering a 90-day Silver status trial for those that have a non-refundable ticket booked on US Airways. Otherwise there are no reports of them status matching as of now.

Airlines not mentioned in this thread typically don't match status, but there are always exceptions. Keep in mind that status matches are once-in-a-lifetime, so use them wisely. Furthermore, keep in mind that airlines typically don't match intra-Alliance, but rather it's much easier to match status between airlines of different alliances.

Airlines that are known to not match status:
Air Canada
ANA
British Airways - except corporate/revenue based
Emirates
JAL
Lufthansa
Singapore