FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Finnair going low cost
View Single Post
Old Jun 2, 2012, 5:44 am
JnsV

Programs: AA Plat (OWS), W6 Discount Club, TK Elite (*G), ex-MA Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
c) I don't really get this obsession with food on s/h. I don't eat on trains or buses, why should I eat on a 1-2 hour flight? Especially when the food quality is what it is on most airlines. Usually I just say when flying Y and seeing those horrendous sandwiches "just a coffee please"
I have two reasons for this:

The overall travel time is much longer in case of a 2 hour flight than in case of a 2 hour train journey. I can get out from my bed 45 minutes before my train departs, leave my house 25 later and still catch the train pretty much surely. The station of arrival is probably closer to your final destination than an airport of arrival. So while a 2 hour train journey is mostly part of a 3 hour total journey time, a 2 hour flight means an at least 5 hour long journey in most cases.

The security rules prevent from taking my regular drinks post security (where you may also spend quite some time before the scheduled departure). Security and safety (i.e. placement of luggage for t/o and landing) rules and hand luggage restrictions make it considerably harder to use my regular luggage for a day of rail travel (a medium sized backpack filled with an iPad and a MacBook + a small-to-medium sized sidepack filled with food and drinks) for a flight.