FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Oz Fest #10 – Perth Australia - Memorial Day Weekend, May 24-26, 2013
Old Jun 1, 2012, 6:23 pm
tom911
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by dedehans
You are hitting on important excursions...please share your experiences.
I did the Captain Cook cruise down the Swan River to Fremantle. It's an easy walk over from the CBD. Trip is 75 mins long at $A25. This is one of many cruises they offer. There is a lunch trip at 1130 for $A62 but lunch in Fremantle would be much nicer. Plenty of pubs and restaurants there. I hit Kail's Seafood Restaurant on the waterfront last trip (not in the CBD but walkable) which is an "order at the window" place with indoor and outdoor seating, and have been to Mario's Italian restaurant in the city center twice.
http://www.captaincookcruises.com.au/

Leaving the ferry terminal in Perth:

Fremantle also has frequent rail access from Perth, so it's quite easy to get back to Perth. Could easily be down there for lunch, spend the afternoon walking around, and be back in Perth for the evening. The highlight of my visit is just walking around looking at the gorgeous buildings. There is also an indoor marketplace.

Marios Italian Restaurant:

Kails Seafood Restaurant:

Kails menu from 2010:
I have done a day trip over to Rottnest Island and saw quokkas and hiked around a few miles. Most of those that go over there from Fremantle via ferry hire bicycles and cycle around the island. Of course, you need good weather for that. If you look at my photos which adjoined OzFest in 2010 there was a lot of dark clouds and rain. I don't have these photos on-line.

For those wanting to extend their stay I have been as far north as Exmouth on a three day tour (789 miles from Perth--road houses for lunch, bunk houses for accommodations, and lots of open road). There may be a two day tour that just goes as far north as Monkey Mia (800km/500 miles). Heading south I've been to Augusta, 322km/200 miles from Perth, though along the way you pass Margaret River wine country which might be an alternative. I was traveling by bus so wine country wasn't in the cards for me. These photos aren't on line any longer.