FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Paid Business / First - Involuntary Downgrades
Old May 31, 2012, 7:19 am
emanon256

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by mitchmu
That raises an interesting question. Should he get difference between D and Y or between what he paid and cheapest economy fare? Not many people planning to fly in E- would actually choose to pay Y.
In my opinion, if someone buys discount C or F, and gets involuntarily downgraded, they should get the difference between what they paid, and an equivalent discounted Y fare, based on what was available at the time of purchase. At least that’s my opinion, probably not the airlines.

One time I purchased a discounted A fare, and I was involuntarily downgraded to Y, and at the time of the downgrade, Y was the only fare available, so they put me in it. When I called for a refund of the difference, the first agent actually had the nerve to tell me that the Y class I flew in cost more than my A, and they that I actually owe them money, but they will waive it. When I asked for a supervisor, they finally refunded the difference between what I paid for A, and I believe a Q fare, which they said was the lowest fare available at the time I booked. I thought that was quite fair. This was pre 3/3 though. Who knows if SHARES can view what was available, I would hope it could.