FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New policy on ticketing a lap child?
View Single Post
Old May 30, 2012, 12:46 pm
Tulane41

Programs: UA GS
I know it's not an issue for all FTers, but the lap infant issue has been a complete and total disaster since 3/3.

We have 5 different international reservations of all sorts coming up - paid on UA, award on UA, award on *A partners - and trying to get our 14-month old added to each of them has been a complete nightmare. I've spent no less than 2 hours on the phone for each reservation and, unlike some of the issues I've dealt with post-3/3, there doesn't seem to be any agent that is any more sure they're doing the right thing than any other.

On the paid UA reservation, when I look at the reservation online, it now (after 3 weeks and numerous calls) shows the lap infant on the reservation. I've printed 1000 copies for posterity.

The award reservations are impossible. I've spent probably 8 hours on the phone over the past 3 weeks working on the Singapore flight, and (sitting on hold right now, 1 hour 44 minutes and counting...) this agent just told me that it's not possible for UA to add the infant and that I need to call SQ to do it. I had another agent tell me the same thing about an award flight on Qatar, and I called Qatar who told me UA had to do it. The hold time now is my fourth attempt at adding her to a Thai reservation (and to correct the spelling of her name, which the last agent apparently didn't do properly).

While I too worry about things like my CPUs not processing, GPUs not clearing, etc since 3/3, this is a much bigger deal to those of us that deal with it. No two agents give me the same answer. When they do tell me that something has actually been done there is no evidence to show for it - nothing appears in my online reservations on these partner awards, there is no confirmation number or ticket number they can give me, and I can't get an email receipt. In short, I have zero confidence that any of this is being done right, and I fully expect to show up at least one of NRT, SIN, DPS, BKK, DOH, LHR or BRU in the next two months and be told that I have to spend north of $1000 or more for a one-way ticket so that my daughter has a boarding pass for the privilege of sitting in our laps for countless hours.

I, like everyone else, have put up with all the merger growing pains. And I know that every person has their limit, and that some have already reached it and taken AAdvantage of AA's offer to jump ship. I can tell you very simply that this has already taken way too much of my time, will continue to take too much time between now and when we fly, has sapped most any confidence I have in the ability of United agents to do these procedures correctly (or even to tell me truthfully that they can't!), and when something predictably goes wrong on this series of flights I can honestly say that I will send my status match info to AA and never look back.