FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "What's your problem?!?"
View Single Post
Old May 29, 2012, 9:32 pm
PhoenixRev

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
"What's your problem?!?"

Yesterday, I was making the return leg of my regular PHX-SNA-PHX run to see my spouse when I entered the security line at SNA. I got through the TDC with the silly "state your name" business and proceeded to get my laptop out, my bins ready, and my shoes and belts off.

As I approached the screening module, I told the male TSO that I wanted to opt out.

He stared at me and then said, "What's your problem?!?" in a rather harsh and loud voice. I responded, "I don't have a problem. I am opting out just like that sign about 10 feet behind you says I have a right to do."

He let out a very long, drawn out sigh and then got on his radio and said, "Another male assist. Ridiculous." He then proceeded to lecture me on the scanners, etc. I simply turned my back to him and kept an eye on my things as they went through the scanner.

The TSO who was doing the pat down arrived in about two minutes, took my items and we did our little dog and pony show before I was released. I headed over to the TSA service desk where I lodged my complaint and took the form and will be emailing my complaint to the TSA.

Honestly, I have no idea why that particular TSO decided to take a job that entails working with the public. He clearly doesn't like it when people exercise the right to opt out, and I am sure he hates it even more when people won't engage him by cowering at the sight of his fake badge and his unkempt beard.

What's my problem?

TSOs who can't be bothered to show a little respect to the public who simply exercise an option that is stated on the signs mere feet from where these TSOs work.

Now that is ridiculous.