FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lima Airport: Domestic arrival from Cusco to International Terminal?
Old May 29, 2012, 5:28 pm
Villavic
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by david_33
It would be nice if this was still true. I got a green light but because I had three bags plus my carry on the girl at the light sent me to the x-ray machine. When I complained she said "too many bags". There I was subjected to mistreatment by some idiot who works for customs. Things keep going downhill, they even had sniffer dogs at the baggage carousels. When I asked why, I was told they are checking for drugs żżż???żżż??? I hope that this isn´t true and they were instead sniffing for cash. If true it will be just another example of govt. corruption.
So they forced you to go to X-ray just because you had 3 baggages? I have never read about that rule, though I guess she is authorized to bypass the light and indicate a passanger to go to X-ray for some reason, though 3 bags are not a reason IMHO. After reading your post I was looking at the Customs government website (http://www.sunat.gob.pe/orientaciona...ros/index.html is only in spanish, sorry), and didn't find about bags limit. It indicates the type of objects that are tax free. I agree with you it was unfair and an awkward moment, but it's not the usual I guess. Though i've not brought 2 or 3 bags in the last years, I've seen people with lot of baggage and they usually press the button.

About the dog, I don't see your point, or maybe I'm missing something. Yes, dogs usually are there for detecting drugs, as in Miami i've seen Beagle dogs at the carrousel sniffing for fruits (or drugs, too?) and I always thought it's business as usual, cause I've seen that US airport lot of times. Actually it doesn't bother me.