FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WestJet flight from YEG to LAX
View Single Post
Old May 28, 2012, 1:22 pm
FlyerDwyer

Originally Posted by tcook052
You can still OLCI (Online Check In) at the 24 hour mark prior to flight, indicate number of checked bags, select your seat, print your BP and then once you arrive at the airport just scan the barcode on the BP at one of the WS kiosks and select the "check baggage" option. The kiosk will print your bag tags and you just apply them and drop the bag off at the express bag drop nearby.

Doing OLCI is admittedly a relatively small time savings but I prefer to do it as it's convenient in streamlining the process at the airport while also giving a better choice of seats to chose from.
Yeah, the seat choice is definitely something to consider.

The bag tags and using express bag tag service does not work for US departures according to the WestJet's website. Looking at the second post I quoted, I assume I should be able to print bag tags, but sending them right away is not an option until you clear customs.

Originally Posted by CanadianConnection33
Small change:
#1) Arrive at Zone 1 (South) at YEG
#2) Check-in with WestJet
#3) Receive my boarding pass and have checked baggage tagged by WestJet agent but keep it with me
#4) Go over to the US customs and answer any questions they may have/Get the entry stamp on my passport
#5) Drop checked baggage, which is already tagged, on the belt after customs
#6) Proceed through security (depending on the airport security sometimes is at an earlier step and with your checked baggage (see YOW, for example))
#7) Go to the US Departure Lounge and wait for my flight to start boarding
#8) Arrive in Los Angeles and pick up my bags and go? (it will be treated as a domestic flight, yes?) (A: yes)

I've never actually flown through US pre-clearance from YEG but this is the process at every other Canadian airport so I assume I'm correct.

At most Canadian airports if you don't have a Nexus Card I recommend arriving at the airport a minimum of two hours before your scheduled departure because US Customs can get overloaded if there are a lot of flights out at the same time.
Wow, I totally forgot about security.

Alright, thank you so much. Now, I know exactly what to do. I plan on getting there two and a half hours before my flight.