FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WestJet flight from YEG to LAX
View Single Post
Old May 28, 2012, 10:42 am
CanadianConnection33

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation
Originally Posted by FlyerDwyer
Hi,

#1) Arrive at Zone 1 (South) at YEG
#2) Check-in with WestJet
#3) Receive my boarding pass and drop my baggage off
#4) Go over to the US customs and answer any questions they may have/Get the entry stamp on my passport
#5) Go to the US Departure Lounge and wait for my flight to start boarding
#6) Arrive in Los Angeles and pick up my bags and go? (it will be treated as a domestic flight, yes?)

Small change:
#1) Arrive at Zone 1 (South) at YEG
#2) Check-in with WestJet
#3) Receive my boarding pass and have checked baggage tagged by WestJet agent but keep it with me
#4) Go over to the US customs and answer any questions they may have/Get the entry stamp on my passport
#5) Drop checked baggage, which is already tagged, on the belt after customs
#6) Proceed through security (depending on the airport security sometimes is at an earlier step and with your checked baggage (see YOW, for example))
#7) Go to the US Departure Lounge and wait for my flight to start boarding
#8) Arrive in Los Angeles and pick up my bags and go? (it will be treated as a domestic flight, yes?) (A: yes)

I've never actually flown through US pre-clearance from YEG but this is the process at every other Canadian airport so I assume I'm correct.

At most Canadian airports if you don't have a Nexus Card I recommend arriving at the airport a minimum of two hours before your scheduled departure because US Customs can get overloaded if there are a lot of flights out at the same time.

Last edited by CanadianConnection33; May 28, 2012 at 10:44 am Reason: Typo