FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Two Wheel vs. Four Wheel Spinners - Specifically Tumi
Old May 28, 2012, 10:08 am
NeverFirst

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
I, for one, welcome our new four-wheeled overlords.

But I have one word to say to you all, "Rimowa". Their spinners have recessed wheels which make them much, much less prone to catching on something and snapping, and also it means you lose less of the internal volume - you lose a bit at each wheel corner rather than the whole 2 inch slice where the wheels are on an "ordinary" spinner.

I am going 100% spinner (but the cabin bag is last to go). I find the saving on wrist-strain is easily worth it, and when you're running for the flight I find the spinner is much, much easier to run fast with, and you can pull it like an old-fashioned suitcase if you wish.

For cabin luggage there is no need to go for a Topas/z, a salsa deluxe will do just fine.

And in all the above I do realise there are drawbacks to the Rimowa - lack of pockets being the main one - but I really can live with that.

Edited to add - I'm afraid I don't have much experience of Tumi, so my ramblings above might not enlighten you much.