FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Two Wheel vs. Four Wheel Spinners - Specifically Tumi
Old May 27, 2012, 11:08 am
tfar

A hardshell provides more overall rigidity. Rigidity gives better control. It's like a sports car. They try to make them as stiff as possible so that steering impulses are properly translated to the chassis. In this process the entire structure counts, not just the platform the wheels are affixed to. That's why sports car convertibles often have a lot of additional bracing and reinforcements.

In that regard it is particularly important to have a rigid frame between the two halves of the suitcase. A zipper has too much play. The wheels on the outer half will always lag, especially on carpet.

Now, if you don't want the hardshell with rigid frame, I could imagine that a Tumi 22060 might be a usable compromise. It is basically one big box (hard), clad with nylon. But the wheels are all on the same structure. It will lose a bit of rigidity in the vertical direction because it has a soft, zippered, nylon top but it should still work better than anything that is halved in two by a zipper. Obviously, when expanded, the proportions will shift and maneuvering will suffer. Something that doesn't happen with a Rimowa for example. Besides, I am not sure if the 22060 can be used pulling it like a roller. The Rimowa switches effortlessly between the two modes. Using roller mode is still advantageous in areas with curbs, thresholds or carpet.

Unfortunately, the Tumi still only has small, single wheels instead of larger, double wheels. A disadvantage on carpet (soft surfaces) and cobble stone (uneven surfaces). Plus the wheels stick out a lot, prone to damage. Add that to the (from what I read here) less than forthcoming service from Tumi and I would not consider a Tumi spinner at all, even this one - and I normally like the brand. It's just that their spinners aren't sound.

Like Briggs and Riley, great luggage, but the outsider handle system is a failure in guise of a unique selling proposition. Or Victorinox with the monopole handles.

So if the reason you want to get a spinner is that you want to profit from its superior maneuvering (especially when heavy) and take some stress of your arm because you don't have to carry any weight with a spinner, then I suggest using a spinner where the construction matches its conceptual advantage, i.e., hardshell, rigid frame (no zip), large double wheels (ideally somewhat sunk into the case) plus a forthcoming warranty because those wheels are still more fragile than the normal ones on a 2-wheeler.

I hope this explains some of the engineering/structural ideas behind these cases that do have a bearing on how the user experiences them.

If you just want to try a different type of case and would like to stick to your favorite mfr, go ahead. You may perhaps not even be disappointed because you will not have thought of these "details" beforehand and won't have experienced the difference they make.

Till

Last edited by tfar; May 27, 2012 at 11:14 am