FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Passport in Maiden name, ticket in married name
Old May 22, 2012, 7:53 am
Often1
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by belgirl
Ok, so we fly to the Caribbean in 2 days, and I just realized that I hadn't changed my maiden name on my passport to my married name - and I booked the ticket in my married name. (It's an award ticket) I called US Airways, and they told me to bring my marriage certificate. I asked, "if I have my marriage certificate, will I have any problems with check-in or TSA" and she emphatically said, "No. No problems."

But with that said, I would like to hear from travelers who have been in a similar situation in the last 2 years, what your experiences have been. Asked for a marriage certificate? Denied boarding? Required to re-book? Was given a hard time but allowed to board? Didn't even blink any eye? I have read that most people haven't had a problem if they had their marriage certificate, but I would like some more peace of mind. Thanks!
The issue for you is on return to the USA. Because DHS does clearance of all inbound itineraries, your passport and ticket info (which they do see) won't match. As a returning US National you, of course, can't be denied entry. But, it may take time to sort out. Just plan on not freaking out if you are detoured to a secondary upon reentry.

You don't specific your destination. But, if it's a US pre-clearance port (you clear US entry formalities at the origination, not destination), give yourself significantly more time on departure. Add an hour to whatever is recommended for arrival at the airport.