FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - iPhone airplane mode to avoid roaming charges
Old May 22, 2012, 1:26 am
jumpingbean

iPhone airplane mode to avoid roaming charges

Hi all
I have decided to use my iPhone like an iPod when I travel to NYC in a weeks time. I plan to make no phone calls or send texts. I would only check and receive emails or use Skype if I have wifi access. But I have a few questions though:

If I put my phone in airplane mode and I have international roaming OFF does this also ensure that cellular data is OFF - or do I need to manually do this? I just want to be sure that I won't be getting any nasty surprises.

I know I can turn wifi ON when in Airplane mode so then I will be able to access free wifi networks when I'm in the city and, if I'm lucky on the plane (though I'm flying United so highly doubt it ).

I guess I'm a bit confused about the difference between cellular data and roaming data - do both switch OFF when Airplane mode is ON?

So with that in mind; in Airplane mode with wifi ON will my iPhone be able to pick up the change in timezone? When I arrive in NY I would like the phone to tell me the correct time and date (I am travelling from Australia)

Does Airplane mode interfere with GPS? - say for example if I wanted to use a map app like NewYork2go.

Also, can I use iMessage via wifi?

thanks heaps for your advice!