FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Finnair Plus advice needed
View Single Post
Old May 21, 2012, 12:32 am
intuition
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
For me personally the plat level is extremely important, so I have always kept aside some points to do the trading for tierpoints in case I don't reach the 150k for platinum. (though, I have yet not needed it!)

Why?
I travel to some destinations where there are some really nice first class lounges, which is one of the perks I value. Also, the unpublished perk of higher priority for plats to get the upgrades cleared. Finally, some airlines in OW treats you really nice if you are an emerald.

And since I find it difficult to use my award points for anything useful, I have a stack of close to useless points, so it wouldn't hurt me very much if I need to trade them in, even at the 3:1 ratio.

Staying at gold - I can come up with one good reason to let your account fall to gold level: If you plan to fly the needed 150k during your gold-year, you will get twice rewarded with upgrade vouchers. First when you get downgraded, you will get 4 shorthaul vouchers (Gold perk). Then, if you reach 150k during the membership year, you will get another 4 SH and 2 LH (plat perk) Then finally, when your membership year ends, you will get another 4 SH and 2 LH vouchers (plat perk for next year).