FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How could the Dollar/Thifty group be worth $2 billion?
Old May 16, 2012, 12:05 pm
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by iahphx
Interesting, Jackal -- I can tell you do have an exhaustive knowledge of Dollar/Thrifty.

A corporate/franchise city-by-city chart would be marginally useful, I guess. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would book with the corporate side if everything else was equal (which it usually is!).

Right now, the only reason I prefer one to the other is that I try to remember to book with a cashback site and when I pull up the data from a site like evreward.com, the payouts can be different. BTW, I'm not even sure I get the cashback, because it's usually so little money (less than a dollar a day) that I don't bother to to check or follow-up.
All else being equal, I book with Thrifty, since the Blue Chip program has a satisfaction guarantee: if you're not wholly satisfied, you get your first day free--although I have never actually used that benefit).

I, too, would book the corporate store, all else being (mostly) equal. In BOS, though, Dollar is more popular due to its closer location to the airport--Thrifty really is kinda out in the sticks. I do pick Thrifty, though, usually, since not only is it corporate, the rate is usually a little lower, too.

At SEA, Dollar was closer until the new CONRAC facility opened. Now that it's open, they're both equally an insanely long haul from the terminal.