FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How could the Dollar/Thifty group be worth $2 billion?
Old May 16, 2012, 7:31 am
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hertz's pursuit of Dollar/Thrifty continues.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo

And I'm still a bit mystified. Hertz says they need another brand for differentiation. The only way this makes sense is to overcharge Hertz customers and then offer price-sensitive customers the Dollar/Thrifty option.

I just don't get this because all the car rental companies pretty much offer the same cars. It's not like the hotel industry where there is an obvious difference between a JW Marriott and a Fairfield Inn. Once you drive it off the lot, what's the difference between Hertz and Thrifty? Why do they need to sell under different brands?

I'm guessing corporate rentals differ from leisure rentals. My strategy is pretty much no-brainer and, I assume, mirrored by most frequent travellers. Given the service I receive at the counter and through their "quick rent" programs, I have a slight preference for National, Hertz and Avis (and, in this group, I like National the best because I like picking my own car), and will look for their rates/discounts first. But if they're more expensive than the second-tier companies, I readily switch to the second tier companies. I almost never bother with the third-tier (non-nationwide, local) outfits.

I'm guessing Dollar/Thrifty rates go up if Hertz acquires them. That will be a shame, since they are sometimes cheaper.