FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What to do if convertible has inadequate trunk space
Old May 10, 2012, 10:36 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by heraclitus
I have a convertible lined up next week at Fox Rent A Car LAX (which advises it will provide "Ford Mustang or equivalent"). I assumed that a convertible would be pretty short on trunk space so my wife and I were going to bring one suitcase each - one larger 30" suitcase to check and one carry on.

Today I looked into things a little further (stumbled upon this clever youtube video that shows what putting luggage into a convertible Mustang's trunk looks like - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTM2BQdOt5M ) and I have to admit that I'm getting a little nervous.

Does anyone have first hand experience with convertible Mustangs? Will it be possible to get one medium/large size bag and a carry on into the trunk? I guess if we're hard up we could just put one bag in the back seat but we were planning on stopping to shop on the way to Palm Springs later in the trip and I would not want to just leave the suitcase under the soft-top.

Also, does anyone know if we would have any chance of using the convertible in Los Angeles and then coming back to the airport to switch it for something more practical for the remainder of the trip to Palm Springs and San Diego (virtually anything would do, so long as it can securely accommodate a few bags). Part of me thinks that the rental company would be happy to give me a cheaper car and get the convertible back to rent out to someone else, but I wonder if they won't try to extort some kind of additional fees out of me.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
With regards to switching cars, what you can do is make two separate reservations. One for the convertible & the other for the "practical" car. I doubt rental car agencies would be eager to swap cars for no good reason (ie: mechanical issues) even if you are willing to pay for a convertible while driving a compact.

LAX