FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta In-flight meal/food service: The definitive thread — Archive
Old May 9, 2012, 8:50 am
dcline414

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mnredfox
To be honest though, this is one of those mainline DL flights under 900 miles that DL actually has real meals, so I applaud them for this. What are the others in the network? I think JFK-ORD is one other one I can think of.
I flew ATL-JFK-ORD earlier this year. I had breakfast on the 738 ATL-JFK, and (would have) had lunch on the CR9 JFK-ORD. A diverted flight and then mechanical issue delayed the flight until after the late afternoon departure, which I took instead. It had no meal service.

I took this routing due to IROP on original ATL-BNA-ORD routing, but I checked the ATL-JFK-ORD fares for several weeks after seeing the great service. I discovered that this routing is at least 2x as much as the next-most-expensive routing. Coach fares, direct or connecting through BNA/DTW, were all $500-$600, but going through JFK (coach) was at least $1,150 or more for all the dates I checked.

This wasn't even a Y/B/M fare, so as GM I would probably not even get the UG for that price. FC was more expensive than coach too (though it would be cheaper to buy FC on any other routing than coach through JFK). Definitely not a great option unless a stop in JFK is absolutely necessary!