FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - J.P. Morgan Select Visa Signature
View Single Post
Old May 7, 2012, 12:38 am
inferno10

Programs: DL GM, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, Amex Plat, JPM Select
Originally Posted by seminole_kev
Anybody have luck with using the chip (not mag strip) in France? In particular, unmanned stations? I just got the card thinking it was Chip and PIN, but due to my.......well.....stupidity, I didn't realize there was a different path of Chip and Signature.
I was just on a 2-week trip across western Europe, and I pretty much used the Select card the entire time. Of the cities I visited - London, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Luzern, Frankfurt, and Barcelona - the only times that my card was either rejected or required a PIN was in Brussels, Amsterdam, Barcelona.

In London, I was able to purchase tickets and an Oyster card at an unmanned Underground kiosk, as well as successfully have it recognized as a chip&sig card at all manned POS around the city.

In Paris, I was able to purchase an 24-hour metro ticket at an unmanned kiosk in Paris Nord station. All manned POS systems recognized the card as chip&sig and the staff knew how to handle this type of card.

In Brussels, the unmanned metro kiosk rejected my card outright, never asking for a PIN. However, all manned POS systems correctly recognized the card as chip&sig and the staff knew how to handle this type of card.

In Amsterdam, an unmanned kiosk at a museum rejected my card outright, never asking for a PIN. However, all manned POS systems worked, and the staff knew how to handle a chip&sig card.

In Frankfurt, the unmanned DB kiosk rejected my card outright, never asking for a PIN. I did not have the opportunity to try this card at any museums or stores.

In Barcelona, the metro kiosk asked me for a PIN; pressing ENTER or typing in 0000 failed, but putting in my cash advance PIN (which I set-up before leaving) worked. The card worked correctly at all the museums I visited.

Still a mixed bag, but I was definitely better off with this card.

- Jason