FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Introduce me to Frontier
View Single Post
Old May 5, 2012, 9:22 am
WillCAD

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Introduce me to Frontier

I'm not a frequent flier, only doing 2-4 segments per year, and for the last 10 years I've flown nothing but Southwest. Yes, I know, some folks don't like Southwest, but from my home airport, BWI, they're cheapest and have the most non-stops to my typical destinations.

But when I take my vacation this year I'm going to LA, and I am seriously considering flying DCA-LAX on Frontier, to give me a layover in the middle of the flight where I can stretch my legs, use a bathroom that's actually bigger than my luggage, and have a meal.

I'd appreciate some comparisons between WN and F9.

I know that the aircraft are different; WN uses nothing but 737s, and the F9 flights I'm looking into use Airbus A320s and A319s. What major differences can I expect between those aircraft? SeatGuru shows that F9 has a tighter seat pitch but wider seats than WN. How does the overhead space and underseat space compare? Any difference in stuff like tray tables, seat recline, etc? How do the seats compare for general comfort? I'm 6'-4" tall and about 260lbs, so seat comfort is important to me on a long flight.

I know the boarding procedures are different (WN has unassigned seats and boards by check-in number, F9 has assigned seats and boards by section. It's been a while since I did a normal boarding procedure, but as I recall, they board front to back, is that right? How long before takeoff should I be at the gate for boarding?

Am I missing anything obvious?