FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Thailand {THA}
Old May 3, 2012, 7:43 am
Kalboz

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by danger
Bugger! I thought I was all but set for the Conrad.

I'd be grateful if you'd care to expand on what you feel is better about the Hilton's location over the Conrad. Shopping will be the main reason for the trip (although I'll be traveling with a first-time Thai traveller so some sightseeing will be needed). We will also have friends staying at the Pathumwan Princess which I believe is right next to MBK and Siam Square so we would need to get to them fairly easily and quickly.
For the first time traveler who would like to see the important sights, I'd seriously consider the Hilton as the location is the most convenient for such activity. To do the sights solo without a tour-guide, I'd suggest the following:

- Take the cross river ferry from the Hilton side to River City pier on the opposite side.
- From RC pier, take the THB 30 (one dollar) express boat to Tha Thien Pier and on to the Grand Palace, and Wat Po. Get a traditional Thai message at Wat Po. Beware of the touts!
- Return to the the same Tha Thien pier, take the 3 Baht (10 cents) ferry to the opposite side of the river to see Wat Arun.
- For evenings cocktails, there is 360 Lounge or other venues in the hotel itself, and there are several riverside restaurants on both sides of the hotel (Yok Yor Restaurant & Be My Guest on south side). Great authentic Thai market (Klongsan Plaza) right next door for local street food and other vendors. You can also take the cross-river ferry (for THB 3 = 10 cents per person) 3-minutes trip to River City mall for more shops and restaurants.
- To go to the bustling "downtown", take the Hilton complementary shuttle boat to Saphan Taksin skytrain station (BTS) and on to Siam Square and other downtown shopping attractions.
- For shopping and dining, there is a new night market just down river. Asiatique the Riverfront is the largest riverfront shopping venue in Asia. Take the same Hilton shuttle boat to Saphan Taksin BTS station and the express boat down river to this new venue.

Sure, the Conrad is more luxurious but it is a city business property in the middle of Embassy "Row" (Wireless Rd.) and not conveniently located. The Hilton location and your lines of travel to/from the hotel will take through more authentic Bangkok for an enhanced experience. Further, the river location and the pool overlooking the river gives the Hilton a resort-like feel for a more relaxing holiday.

Hope this help you decide!

Last edited by Kalboz; Jun 15, 2012 at 7:05 am