FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Maestro's Europe Trip - Newbie here.. Please be Patient
Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:33 am
exbayern

Originally Posted by lewisc
The OP is staying at the Plaza in NYC and is looking for lower cost accommodations in London. Today's NY Times has an article concerning London and the Olympics. Suggestions on how to get tickets, flights and where to stay.

One option which hasn't been mentioned in this thread.

This will offer AMs family the complete range of accommodations during the course of his extensive vacation. A good way to offer balance during the trip. This will ensure maximum conversation value about the trip, both before and after. A full range of experiences.
Well, that is a great budget suggestion. I'm in London this week, and instead of my usual Mayfair flat am in a rather large (for London) hotel room in one of the top properties. This room is actually I consider a bargain at 750GBP during the Olympics, and very centrally located. Similar locations can be still had for around 400GBP.

The challenge however will continue to be finding rooms which
1) permit more than 2-3 people in the room (yes, toddlers are counted at most locations)
2) have two beds in the room

Especially during the Olympics I suspect that hotels will be vigilant to confirm number of persons to both maximise revenues as well as avoid fire code violations.

Of course, when tent camping one doesn't need to worry about number of beds... OP was looking several times at the ranch at Disneyland Paris, so tent camping may be something he would consider. Europa Park has a great budget option ranging from shared floor space in a tipi, to space on the floor of a wooden wagon, to shared space on the floor of a log cabin. They are extremely popular and they had to expand in recent years to add more options.