FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - P.S. Upgrade worth it for Redeye?
View Single Post
Old Apr 21, 2012, 8:51 am
ijgordon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beerman92
I've slept better on DL and VX seats than ps F seats. Hence my question. Also doesn't AA call their F on sfo-jfk transcon a "sleeper seat"?
There's no standardized definition of a sleeper seat. You could argue that DL J, VX J, AA J and UA J are also sleeper seats. They all offer deep recline and legrests. They're comfortable to sleep on your back in, but not particularly comfortable for side sleepers.

The UA F seat is an angled flat seat. I don't know if it's actually 180 degrees (but angled to the floor), as I haven't been on it, and many of these types of seats are actually 170-175 degrees between seat cushion and seat back (and the legrest sometimes angles down too). These types of seats are usually comfortable for side and even front sleepers (I actually find them more comfortable on my side or front than on my back).

The AA F seat is structured like a traditional recliner seat, although the recline is deeper than the other J seats mentioned above, probably 170 degrees. It's 62" of pitch, compared to DL and VX at 55", AA J at 50" and UA J at 54". Obviously more pitch enables deeper recline. The AA F seat is comfortable for back or side sleeping, not front. (And as an aside the AA F seat is the same seat they used to use as fully flat beds in international first class but went into storage when they pulled F off their 767-300s. They now have less pitch, don't recline all the way, and don't have the privacy shell, but it's the same seat.)