FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What would you do? Worth the miles/$$$ for upgrade.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:07 pm
rbrenton88

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
Upgrade offer - not worth it?

I have an EWR to Orlando flight coming up, and I pre-selected row 21 and paid the $49 fee for this exit row seat (737-900). Hard to be sure based on Seat Guru because they have a couple of different categories for this model.

As it stands, the middle seat is currently empty, but I learned the hard way that once they begin boarding, all those empty seats online are not really empty in real life.

So at least on the flight down, they are offering an upgrade to first for 20k miles + $75.

While I don't really want to burn the miles on a less then 3 hour flight, I have a phobia being in economy. I also have a problem with $75. The miles should be enough, imo.

But in any case, if I took them up on the offer, they would cancel the old booking and rebook brand new, assuming the net cash would then be only an extra $26 net. But this scares me given that they already have been playing around with flight changes and such.

Would you do it, or just be happy in the "premium" exit row?