FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Newb advice] NYC to Paris using MR to upgrade
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:24 pm
snaporaz

Programs: SPG Gold, AA PM
It's a tough redemption. Another approach to the MR points to AC (Air Canada) transfer for a UA (United) partner award in J (business class) would be an MR to NH (ANA) transfer for a UA partner award in J. It will cost you significantly more in taxes and surcharges (can't remember exactly but I think you should be prepared for $500-$700 each), but fewer MR points (68,000 x 2 = 136,000 due to the distance-based NH award chart). It could be worth considering if you don't have enough MR Points to cover the AC redemption, and are willing to spend some cash.
I must say that with all the airlines now charging crazy fees for award tickets (BA, ANA etc.), I basically look at the miles/points as an upgrade tool for my "base fare". Also since as pointed out upthread, upgradeable fares are prohibitively expensive.
And by the way, according to the NH search engine, which is great for Star Alliance availabilty, it can be done either way on UA for EWR-CDG 8/18 @ 21:20 (double checking on ExpertFlyer shows 3 seats in I inventory) - CDG-EWR 8/26 @ 13:10 (ExpertFlyer shows 2 seats in I inventory) - but who knows how long that will last as there is virtually no other I2 for a week around those dates in either direction, so I would act quickly.
And whatever you do, get yourself an ExpertFlyer membership to check inventory right before you transfer any miles to any program, and beware that transfers to NH are not instantaneous - can't speak for sure about AC but I think I they are.

Last edited by snaporaz; Apr 16, 2012 at 10:38 pm