FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Benefits for OW emerald on AB ?
View Single Post
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:56 pm
Carfield

Seat assignment

Just want to report back...

I booked a ticket from FCO to FRA via VIE on Fly Niki yesterday for travel in June.

I am able to input my American Airlines AAdvantage number into the record (I notice that AB only has a few OW airlines listed under their FF number including their own topbonus, along with Finnair and S7). I presume you need to call AB 24 hours hotline in the US to enter other OW members' FF numbers.

Seat assignment - Well AB and HG sell XL seats but you have to call their reservation hotline to do it, as they need to verify the exit seat requirement. I am able to book the exit window seat on these A320s with no issue and the best part - AB computer is able to recognize my AA EXP number and my OW emerald status, and the exit row is available for free. So I can verify that OW Sapphire and Emerald members have access to premium and exit row seats for free, but you will have to CALL AB to reserve those seats.

According to the agent, you will receive most of the same benefits as their topbonus elite members, corresponding to the Oneworld status.

As an Oneworld Emerald member, I will be able to check in two pieces of bags weighing up to 30kg each for free. When I pull up the baggage extra section on my booking, the booking screen just said that I was not eligible for the service.

I am pleasantly surprised and AB agents are very friendly and personable.

Personally I consider Air Berlin is an average LCC airline with limited beverage and refreshment service (Used to be better with sandwiches on longer flights or flights at meal time). It is well run like most German airlines - on time and smooth. However I find their crews only average, but they will get their jobs done. Anyhow, there are a few things that I like - chocolate that they passed out as you exit from the plane and their BOB service. You will be able to pre-order hot meals in advance, and the food is actually very good. Please note AB top elite (OW Emerald) get a free gourmet meal, but OW members don't get those free hot meals. I booked my own warm meals online and was charged accordingly.

However I love Fly Niki, and their F/As are always friendly and a bit more personable than Air Berlin crews. They are prettier and more customer oriented. The airline will use Air Berlin planes from time to time, but the crew is still Fly Niki. They are also more generous with their refreshment service - sandwiches at meal times on most flights even shorter intra-European runs, and their BOB service is a bit different from AB. They feature DO & CO meal, which is very good and you will get a good business class quality meal for $14. It is not bad considered how things are expensive in Europe.

Anyway, I will report back when I fly HG in June and see if I have anything else to add, regarding priority boarding, check-in, baggage service, and lounge access.

To summarize:
OW members will get
- free baggage allowance corresponding to AB own elite status
- free seat assignment for premium rows and exit rows for OW Sapphire and Emerald members, but must call AB/HG to get the seat assignment.

Carfield

Last edited by Carfield; May 16, 2012 at 5:51 pm