FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A West Coast Adventure - SF, Vegas, Grand Canyon with VX and BA
Old Apr 13, 2012, 3:32 pm
Spymon

Programs: BA Blue, IC Diamond Ambassador, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hilton Gold
Day 8 Part 1 – Homeward bound – SFO – LHR BA First Time in Club World

Sadly this trip was drawing to a close, but there was still time for a few more highlights. We started off the day where we finished the last, in the restaurant at the Taj, but this time for breakfast. They take service seriously in the restaurant here, even at breakfast and Sachin, our server was dismayed to find that the white napkin did not match my partners black trousers and went to get her a more appropriate black one. The level of service at breakfast is no different to that at dinner. We were given a choice of seating options, a menu, asked if we have any special dietary requirements or food allergies and also if we have any questions about the menu. I don't think I've ever seen this level of detail at breakfast before. We both were started off with what tasted like freshly squeezed orange juice, a pot of coffee and some iced water whilst we got stuck into the menus. In the end we both went with the American breakfast and this is probably the best American breakfast I'd ever eaten. I had the poached eggs with Canadian bacon, my partner went with scrambled eggs and apple smoked bacon. We were asked how we'd like our eggs which was a refreshing change. I had fried potatoes with my breakfast and my partner went with the fruit. We also got four slices of toast, a huge croissant and a pain au chocolat as well. The food was really, really tasty and felt like it had been made to order rather than kept warm under a lamp. Sadly we only managed half the toast and ran out of room for the croissant. Anyway, the FHR credit covered all but the tip. A really solid start to the day and just what you want with a ten hour flight to come later on.

My partner was flying out four hours before me on United, so after walking her down to the BART trying very hard to ignore the 'Jesus Lady' who was singing and preaching away with the passion of the Christ for all to hear. I went back to the hotel to confirm a late check out and have a wander round town. My poor sense of direction got the better of me as I meant to walk up to Chinatown which was about a block up the road. Instead I ended up taking the scenic walk up Nob Hill and down into Chinatown from there.

However, it was a really nice walk in the sunshine and it helped to walk off a little of the breakfast. From Chinatown I circled round to take some exterior shots of the hotels where we'd stayed previously and about two hours later arrived back to the Taj for a little rest and a bit of NBA action on the TV before my flight back.

Soon it was time to check out and the sad realisation of how much money we'd burnt staying at the Taj sank in. It was a really nice stay but somehow the night before at the Palace felt more homely, the suite in Vegas more special and the Intercontinental better value. The food was excellent at the Taj but the rest felt a little bit of a let down considering that it was around $70 more than anywhere else on the trip, it was just missing that x-factor from elsewhere.

Anyway, it was now time for me to make the more than familiar trip on the BART to get to SFO. Thankfully 'Jesus Lady' had departed the station and it was peaceful again. After a 15 minute wait I was aboard the BART and bound for the airport and I can now talk about the part of the trip that I'm sure most people reading this forum are interested in, my first time flying BA Club World. My first Club experience got off to a great start, after walking down to the BA check in area there was no queue for Club check in and I had a lady from Special Services doing my check in. She was very friendly, acknowledged it was my first time in Club and made sure I was aware of all the benefits, lounges, fast track, and advised me to take advantage of my my full baggage allowance next time! I was handed my boarding pass for seat 63A with a nice priority stamp. I was given a brief farewell as the nice lady told me she'd be at the lounge for boarding as well.

As a little aside it was with a huge amount of luck (and far too much time spent on FT) that I ended up in 63A. First of all thanks to here I learnt about UUAs and also that availability often opens up nearer the flight. I spent almost every day checking for availability and a week out it paid off. 12500 Avios later and I had my Club World seat. Secondly, thanks to FT I had managed to get hold of the Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Gold card through AMEX, and additionally thanks to here I found out you could have both the BA number on the booking and the Cathay number so I could select my seat in advance. Finally, again thanks to FT I found out that the best seats on the 747 for a solo traveller are the upper deck window seats, and whilst 62 and 64 A/K were gone apparently 63A is not too bad.

Moving on, security was looking awful thanks to a huge school group of about 50 people who had just joined the line, but after walking right to the front of the empty business class line I was through in no time at all. After that it was a short walk to the lounge, through the doors, downstairs to the lounge agents desk who seemed a bit unsure why I should be in the lounge and eventually twigged, “Oh, you're Oneworld Saphire, right this way.” It was all good from this point on, she showed me the newspapers, and explained that they would be replaced with newer ones when the inbound flight arrived. I made myself at home near the window, grabbed some crisps and apple juice and settled in with the Independent. Whilst the lounge at SFO may not look quite as shiny as the lovely LHR lounges it does have a number of benefits, first of all it's very small and private feeling with a nice view of the gate where the BA flights arrive. Secondly, the lounge staff like to bring round plates of food, I was offered and took up some bruschetta and some strawberries. Thirdly, you can board straight from the lounge! Anyway, after lounging away for a few hours with sandwiches, wine and a good newspaper it was time to say one last good bye to San Francisco and board the plane. The clue it was time to board was seeing the nice special services lady from check in lead a bunch of people from the First lounge to the gate. I followed as the call went up on the tannoy for boarding and was welcomed as promised with a whole lot of warmth at boarding pass check. “Did you enjoy the lounge?” the nice lady from special services asked. Oh yes I did, peaceful, quiet and those nice little extras mentioned above, the perfect way to prepare for a flight.

Time to get on the plane and both doors are used at SFO, the left hand one for First and Club World, the right hand for World Traveller Plus and World Traveller. I was warmly greeted at the door and the crew member told me where to find the stairs to the upper deck. I was greeted again at the top of the stairs and made my way to my seat. My first impressions of the upper deck are that it's small and private due to the lack of seats. Everything felt nice and relaxed. A blanket and the noise canceling headphones were left on the seat. I had a quick look around 63A, four windows, four sidebins and an overhead locker to myself, no wonder everyone was so relaxed at boarding. This was a very different boarding experience to WT, which at least on BA is reasonably civilised unlike the "low cost carrier scrum" on Easyjet. On the upper deck you move in your own time, not at the time dictated by the crowd. Annoyingly my rucksack was a little too large for the side bins, so instead it sat by itself in its very own overhead bin.

For the time being I put the headphones and blanket in the side bins as it was time to try out the famous Club World seat. First impressions were a little disappointing as I felt a little too low and a little too laid back. I was about to reach for the seat guide but instead it was time for a welcome drink and despite the other offerings, champagne was the only real choice! Rather than having to fuss around with tray tables and elbow room I just placed my drink on top of the sidebins and settled in to my seat.

Guide in hand I then managed to work out how to use the privacy screen and get the seat a little more upright, between sips of champagne. It was also time to take a few snaps before the cabin began to fill up with passengers. With the screen up you begin to realise how truly private everything feels and how much space you have compared to WT, so far so good. It was soon time for taxi and take off, and rather than making me feel a little silly for not noticing the picture of the plane taking off on the seat controls and adjusting it the other way, the female crew member advised me I might be more comfortable in a different position and kindly reclined me back in to place. I think menus were distributed just before take off but I didn't get much of a look as the safety film finished and we sped along the runway, up into the air and back towards London. As already noted by others, it is slightly disorienting to be seated backwards during take off but pretty comfortable all the same.

Last edited by Spymon; Sep 8, 2019 at 11:20 am Reason: Added photos and fixes