FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2 nights in Idaho - Sun Valley? Ketchum? Stanley?
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:40 am
PacWN

Programs: Alaska Milage Plan MVP, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by mstraveler
Thank so much PacWN. Just what I need to know! I don't mind driving and will plan on heading to Ketchum straightaway after I land at BOI and spend a night there and then another in Stanley. Then the night before the rafting trip will be in McCall. Appreciate your thoughts on Boise too. We decided based on that to drive to Boise the night of the take out rather than spending another night in McCall. Timing also works out better for the return flight the next morning, but nice to know that downtown Boise a good option. Hotel 43 looks perfect; is it close enough to good restaurants to walk? We will get in on a Sunday night a little later than I would like possibly (depending on take out which is reported to be 4-6 pm at McCall) and will not want to navigate any more driving!
There is a steakhouse, Chandlers, on the ground floor of Hotel 43. I've never eaten at Chandler's so I can't personally vouch for them (although everything I've heard has been positive). My favorite downtown restaurant is Angell's. It is just across Grove St. from Hotel 43 and the Salmon is spectacular. You'll also be within walking distance of everything downtown if you are looking for something more casual. For more casual dining, I love Bardenay. It may be a little further than you will want to walk or drive, but Boise Fry Company is a truly unique Boise experience. There you choose from several types of potatoes and cuts of fries. Then you order your burger "on the side." When your food is finished, you have a choice of at least 10 different ketchups and at least as many varieties of salt to adorn your fries. If you have time in the morning, there's no better breakfast in town than Goldy's.

I've lived in Boise for most of my life, and love it here. It's a beautiful city year round. I've yet to find a place that allows access to the outdoors like Boise does. In high school, I would keep my snowboard in the trunk of my car. I'd look up at the ski hill and if conditions looked good, I'd cruise up there and be snowboarding within 45 mins. Summer allows for quick access to miles and miles of mountain biking trails, wild rivers for rafting, and fly fishing just a few blocks from downtown. Hope you enjoy Idaho as much as we do!