FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Newark a suburb of New York City? Or is Newark a city with its own identity?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:11 pm
phlashba

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by kwildnj
As I explained before, there is a difference between a city and urban, just as there is a difference between a suburb and suburban.

The greater New York area is so densely populated, what is a suburb here, quite possibly be seen as a city in other parts of the United States.

The US Census defines an Urban Area as an area with more than 1000 people per square mile. By definition, the entire State of New Jersey is indeed "urban", having a population density of over 1100 persons per square mile.

The town in which I live, which has no building over 5 stories tall, a total of maybe 10 traffic lights, nearly 90% of the households living in single family homes at a population density of roughly 2800 persons per square mile is considered URBAN by definition, but is indeed a suburb of New York City, 25 miles away.
Very interesting; I enjoyed reading your summary. So so you think would we be more accurate in referring to Newark as a "satellite city"?