FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Farewell Miles, with ANA, Thai and Asiana with ANA's International 787 in C
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:40 am
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Ok, it's time for a One Time Exception - And I've had to cut it down a tiny bit due to the sheer amount that I've written before. In some ways, it's not a bad thing as it'll cut the size of the report down by a few pictures.

One Time Exception: Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building Lookout, Shinjuku
Price: FREE.

There are two major lookout points in Tokyo. The classic tourist trap is of course the Tokyo Tower. The other (and slightly less known lookout point) is The Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building.

Now if you've noticed in the tagline, there is one lovely thing about this place - it's free! And for Tokyo, it makes it one of the best bargains going. However, you do need to cross halfway across the city to get to it, and if you're lazy, a subway change or two, which can add to the costs on your Sucia/PASMO card.

Once you get to the building, take exit A3 (not A4 like I did and hike around the block once), and follow the signs. Oh, and for those lost in translation: The Tokyo Tourist Board is here - and are helpful to Gaijin who act lost trying to find the elevator upwards .

In the building, there are not one, but <strong>two </strong>observation decks, opening at different times. On my visit, I arrived in time for the <strong>North</strong> tower.

A quick assent up 45 floors, and once again, I was up in the Sky. Well. Sort of

And the views? Well they're not brilliant heading into Tokyo itself, but the views out of the city towards Fuji-san were... amazing at dusk:

Here's a selection.

There are a load more images on the Photoblog

Now, I fell into the other tourist trap, the Tokyo Tower, which whilst had better views of the city, it didn't feel as friendly as the Metropolitan building - mainly due to the opportunities that Tokyo Tower were taking to drain your wallet. There are pictures from that, but I'm working through the trip report. Follow me on Twitter and you'll know when the pictures from the Tokyo Tower are out!