FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: The Complete Newbie Guide/FAQ to the Air Canada Aeroplan Mini-RTW
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:30 am
global happy traveller

Originally Posted by farooqm
Thanks for the advice everyone, I know you are doing this out of the goodness of your heart so I really really appreciate it. Had not realized that not going through Europe was considered not a mini-RTW. Any advice on where to post this would be appreciated.

Appreciate the advice on the business/first class, perhaps my wife and I might have to open a couple platinum amex cards to get the additional points needed for this.. would love some advice though as to my comments above as throwing on $1000 in fees to get those 100,000 points might negate the value of business class. Than again if what you are saying is true and I am off base with my comments below I need to reevaluate..

Here is what I was originally considering:

Fri Dec 21:
YYZ->FRA->SIN
Wed Jan 2:
SIN-> SYD
Tues Jan 22:
SYD->YVR->YYZ

Although I can't seem to be able to select the second flight anymore on aeroplan so I can't see the fees. Also what I meant by direct which reading it now was unclear, is that I prefer to spend less time in the air as opposed to saving $100 - $200 in fees/taxes.

In terms of the value, from what I can determine looking on Kayak these flights during the Christmas period (Dec/Jan) are in and around the $3500 mark. If I am totally off base there than let me know. And that is without your help in optimizing the stopovers and open jaws and such. I would think those are the main value adds with booking with Aeroplan when you are talking about a multi-destination trip?

Would appreciate any and all comments. Thanks!
if you cant see the flight, the inventory might be gone/taken away or by someone else